Sunday, January 24, 2010

Helm progress

I've been home for 2 days with a respiratory virus, so I've used the time to make some progress on my helm.

I've mounted the ridge to the brow band and trimmed the ridge to the correct length, then dished and punched holes and added the side bands.

I spent some time with a wooden hammer, adjusting the fit of the side bands so the fit tightly with the brow and the ridge. Then I drafted a pattern for the panels, made a prototype out of 18g. mild steel, tweaked the pattern a bit, and marked out the 4 panels on my remaining metal.

I'm going to need some more 16g. 410 alloy steel to finish this project because the pattern pieces do not nest as well as I had planned in my original layout, and it was always going to be tight getting both of the cheek pieces out of the available metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment